Wednesday, July 28, 2010

VOGUE RACIST?

Cameroon born fashion photographer Mario Epanya recently submitted a proposal to Vogue to launch a new magazine to further their global branding - Vogue Africa. Sadly it was turned down. I and the fashion public has to ask themselves - WHY? Why was this well put together and m uch needed idea shot down by Vogue's publisher Conde Nast. The rejection has caused outrage all over the world asking Vogue why isn't this idea being put into their magazine family. Vogue has magazines all over the world, not just the U.S. version many of us Americans see on the shelves at the grocery store, magazine stands and book stores. Many countries have their own version of the fashion bible. With so many beautiful models, designers and the rich culture that Africa holds why oh why Vogue did you say no.. I know ther is no Vogue Europe and there is no Vogue Asia or North America. Vogue has gone by countries and not a continent but I still would like to know your "many" reasons why this was not a good idea - seeing that your brand usually lacks diversity. I know you have sprinkled some pepper here and there on your covers but I do not think that your pages truly reflect the diversity in the global fashion industry. Go ahead I am waiting, while you make up something.

MeaLee

Check out Mario Epanya's AMAZING website and Join the his Facebook Group!

Check out Don't Panic's interview with Mario Epanya on Vogue rejecting his propsal for Vogue Africa and more fictional Vogue Africa covers created by Mario after the jump

Mario Epanya is a Cameroon-born fashion photographer who is currently living in Paris. Alongside his work as a photographer he has been campaigning for an African edition of international fashion bible, Vogue. Epanya has created a series of fictional covers for the magazine using exclusively African models. However the magazine’s publisher, Condé Nast, have rejected the proposal, sparking outrage from across the world.

Don’t Panic spoke to Epanya about the impact of the decision on African fashion, African women and ideals of beauty.


What was your initial reaction when you heard Condé Nast’s decision to reject your proposition for a Vogue Africa?
Well in a very conservative world, I knew the answer would be negative, but I wanted to have a confirmation of that, at the same time there's no reason to continue the innovation.

Where did your idea to do the mock covers come from?
Gosh, that's a long time dream darling! I was born with a Vogue in my hand. Seriously, my mother is a tailor and she lives in Africa – she has been buying Vogue since 1970. She has a huge collection and I remember splendid times in her atelier looking at Vogue magazine. I ate Vogue, I drank Vogue, I slept Vogue... till now, but sadly, there's not enough diversity. Then last year I decided to do the covers… it’s that simple.
What made you decide to do the campaign?
I was tired of seeing titles like, "she was the first black model to ‘grace’ the cover of Vogue.” Tired of seeing this ten times about the same model... ALLO! We're around! We read and we are buyers too... come on! And as I said, one word – DIVERSITY darling, DI-VER-SI-TY!

There are some very successful African models such as Alex Wek and Iman, don’t you think they represent African women in the fashion industry?
Of course, Iman, Alec, Liya… my fierce Naomi (love her) are my girls and they represent black beauty proudly, but that doesn't mean we should stand and clap ours hands because we’ve got ten supermodels – give me a break! And fashion is not only about modelling, there's an industry behind it: designers, shows, advertising, magazines, agencies, photography, beauty, cosmetics, and jewellery.
What’s more, all this creativity has got to be seen and taken to a higher level and I’m sorry, right now only Vogue can do that – no matter what people and haters say – because Vogue is not only a magazine, it's an institution that reveals talent to the world! Look at me – I've been around for almost 15 years now working in fashion. Do you think I'll be here today answering to your questions if I did not mention Vogue!? Vogue makes miracles ok?

Some bloggers have suggested that a Vogue Africa would not be a celebration of African beauty but rather Africans trying to confirm to white ideas of beauty – what do you think about this?
Well, I think if Africa gets involved in what they want to see in magazines and how they see themselves, it can be interesting. People talk, talk and talk, but still in some countries in Africa, a beautiful woman will have lighter skin and weaves whereas a darker-skinned woman is considered ugly. That's the explanation for this horrible bleaching problem in the African community, but I think a magazine should educate too and talk about all this and as I said, diversity.

Now that the idea has been rejected, are you going to carry on campaigning?
LOL, the campaign is carrying itself! The internet coverage is AMAZING, even USA Today and The New York Post are talking about it – Oprah and CNN are the next goals. I think this is going to be a passionate debate and I can't do anything about it, but personally I have turned the page – I’ve done my last mock up cover. I’m working on new projects.

You are a beauty photographer – from your experience why do you think the fashion industry is so preoccupied with ideals of white beauty, when it is an industry based on innovation and new ideas?
Well, well, well, tough question, but I’ll try to answer it in a very simple way. I think it's political. The market was made for the Western countries, and people were always taught things will never change, but the fact is that the world is changing. China, Brazil, India, South Africa are the new market, with trillions of people, with different cultures. The big question is: do they want Western culture or their own? I think culture is about sharing for a better culture don't you?
 
Do you think Vogue Africa would be relevant to the native population?
Vogue Africa is just a symbol dedicated to all people of African descent no matter where they are: Africa, America, Australia, Europe, West Indies, Brazil, Jamaica...We all have the same Motherland.

What are the main inspirations behind your work?
Africa, Beauty, Nature, Creativity, Culture.


If you could put anyone on the cover of Vogue who would it be?
A group of black women readers from every part of the world.

3 comments:

mario robert said...

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT ,than you ,MAAAAJOOOOR

<3
mario epanya

S.S. Priest said...

Dear MeaLee,

I suggest that you see a reality. It is not that Vogue is racist, it's about capital.

Please think about it, even Vogue America (the staple of Vogue) is having economic trouble. So it would already be a risk for Conde Nast to start ANOTHER publication.

Now here are some more hard true facts:

Over 50% of the African population is under the poverty rate. That leaves 50% of the population that can ever AFFORD to buy this magazine. Wiggle that percentage down to the people in that range that are interested in fashion. Wiggle that down to the people that would religiously read Vogue over ELLE, DANSK, and other fashion magazines that do have African publications. Wiggle that down to the countries that arent colonized by euopean countries therefore receiving their versions of Vogue.

In simple terms, there just arent enough people in Africa to read Vogue in order for it to make money.

So don't criticize Vogue for being racist, when really the idea (while well thought out and very creative) just wouldn't make money.

BLAKstar said...

@Mario thanks for reading!

@S.S. good points.. I was asking a question, I did think they were a little hastey in their decision but you do bring up some good points. What I would like to see is more diversity in the current issues and publications that Vogue has. They do have different models but I would like to see it really reflect what is available in the fashion industry.. Thank you for your comment and made me rethink.. :) Keep reading and commenting.

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with BLAKstar Media

Related Posts with Thumbnails