Saturday, November 13, 2010

INSIDE THE MIND OF DERRICK SMITH: MALE MODEL


What is the definition of 'Dedication?' Something you put your all into. Something that requires much thought and effort. If you want to either better yourself or do something that will touch others, you must give it your all. That is exactly Mr. Derrick Smith mindset. Not only is he a model but a leader in his community working to better his surroundings and offer real solutions for some of the problems we see everyday.


How would you define Derrick Smith?

I would define myself as a leader, a workaholic. A man who would give his all and will not take no for an answer.

You have demonstrated your leadership trait in community programs in the New York area. Are you currently working on any projects now?

Yes I am I'm the executive community director of Obvious Magazine and we're going to be doing a project in the Bronx to help a school get the kids their uniforms and supplies.

Read the entire interview & more photos after the jump




Is there one particular service organization you want to collaborate with?
No I'll be doing all my collaborating with the magazine and depending on the project and the specific needs of it. That will determine who we reach out to as far as sponsorship.

How long have you been with Obvious Magazine and how did you cross paths with them?

I've been with Obvious Magazine for about 2 months and I was on the cover earlier this year as a model. The owner and I are really good friends, so he decided to add a new element to the magazine which is called Obvious Community. Prior to coming aboard with them I was doing my own work in the neighborhoods so it made plenty of sense to me when I was asked to join. I can continue to help the community but now I have a team and brand behind me which equals a win, win.


That's great to hear. How did modeling find it's way into your life?

I've always been into fashion, its my life. My appearance and presentation means everything to me.From the way I speak, to the way I dress. I had a passion to do it. I'd seen the greats do it, so I took some notes and added my style to it and here I am.

Is there any particular designer you would like to work with?

Ralph Lauren. I love his clothes that's my dream to be a polo model. I've spent so much money on his clothes. The ladies love me in them and I feel good in Polo. God willing I get a chance to accomplish that goal.

What motivates you to push so hard for what you believe in?

The fact that you can be one day away from the end. You can lose everything tomorrow. I work my hardest because the harder I work, the further I remove myself from the struggle. I believe in me period.

Do you see yourself branching off into other avenues?

I would love to get a chance to show more of my personality I'm really a fun guy and in pictures you don't always get a chance to show that. As far as other avenues I've already started and my future is being set as we speak.


You are definitely headed in the right direction. Before we go what would you like to tell our BLAKstar Readers...

First and foremost I want to thank you guys for interviewing me. I want everybody reading this to know I'm standing up and taking matters into my own hands regarding my career and life. Don't wait for anyone to save or do it for you. You have God's support so believe in yourself and work hard.

-Destiny Chanel

Connect with Derrick Smith
Twitter      Facebook       Obvious Magazine

2 comments:

Shavahn said...

Wonderful article....I love it!!!! Keep up the good work Derrick!!!!

Anonymous said...

Keep pushing Derrick. You are an inspiration to all!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with BLAKstar Media

Related Posts with Thumbnails